American Option Renters Insurance

“Do I need renter’s insurance?” If you can replace everything in your apartment for less than a few hundred dollars, probably not. Most people, though, simply aren’t going to be able to do that, and thats why renter’s insurance is such a great coverage to add.

If you’re renting an apartment, condo, or house, a renter’s insurance policy will give you peace of mind and protect your financial well-being in a variety of situations. Many people assume that their landlord’s homeowner’s insurance policy will cover them as well, but that’s not usually the case.

Renter’s insurance is an incredibly affordable way to protect you from the loss of your belongings due to incidents such as theft or fire. It also provides protection against liability should an accident occur within the house or unit you’re renting. Renter’s insurance won’t cover everything inside of your home, but it offers a great deal of protection at a very reasonable price, and it’s quickly becoming a more popular choice among renters. The Chicago Tribune recently called renter’s insurance “the new must have in the booming rental market.”


What’s included in basic renter’s insurance coverage?

Liability Protection:
Renter’s insurance can offer legal representation against judgments should an accident or injury occur to a guest in your dwelling. It can also cover medical costs for visitors who are injured in your dwelling.

Personal Property Protection:
Renter’s insurance can cover loss or damage to your personal property in events such as fire or theft.

Scheduled Personal Property:
The insured can also choose to cover special high valued items within their dwelling, such as jewelry or artwork.

Additional Living Expense:
Finally, renter’s insurance can cover living costs after while your property is being repaired or reconstructed following covered damage.


Do I own enough to really need renter’s insurance?

This is probably the question that most often prevents renters from purchasing coverage. Most people own far more than they might first think. The cost of merely a television, computer, and clothing alone can add up quickly.


Don’t forget about your college aged children living off-campus!

Many homeowner’s believe that their homeowner’s insurance policy will cover their adult children while they are away at college, and in some instances, this is true. It’s not true in every instance, though, and with more and more students choosing to live off-campus, renter’s insurance becomes a much more valuable coverage to add.

Students living in a rented apartment off-campus would absolutely benefit from renter’s insurance. It’s an inexpensive way to provide protection and peace of mind. College students in particular often accumulate a number of high cost possessions, such as textbooks, computers, and other school related items.

Purchasing renter’s insurance for a college-bound child is rarely at the top of any parent’s list of things-to-do, but it’s a sound decision that offers protection in regard to both liability and personal possessions. It’s also a good opportunity to talk with your child about financial responsibility.


Where should I start?

Give us a call at 888-985-4032, and we’ll outline your options and help you determine the best coverage for your needs. Renter’s insurance is a great product and can often be combined with other coverages, such as auto, to become even more affordable. You have options.